HEAL TIME 4 TO 6 WEEKS
CLEANING SOLUTIONS YOU WILL NEED AN ANTI-BACTERIAL MOUTH WASH, MOST PEOPLE USE LISTERINE, BECAUSE IT HAS THE MOST CLEANING POWER!
ALSO, YOU WILL NEED EITHER GLY-OXIDE OR PEROXYL BRAND ORAL ANTI-SEPTIC; THEY CAN BE FOUND IN THE TOOTH PRODUCT AISLE IN ANY DRUG STORE, SUPERMARKET OR SUPERSTORE.
1. Rinse mouth for 60 seconds after anything goes in your mouth (except water or ice) this means up to 6 to 12 times a day; DO NOT over-do it! Rinse after smoking as well.
2. DO NOT omit this step… Twice a day, right before brushing your teeth, rinse your mouth with either the GLY-OXIDE or PEROXYL, they will both foam up like peroxide and don’t taste too hot, but you need to use them!
3. Keep dirty hands, fingernails, pencils, etc. OUT of your mouth!
4. NO oral sexual contact for at least 2 weeks! It sucks (no pun intended), but will keep you from ripping your piercing or being sore. You really MUST take this advice to heart!
5. After the major swelling goes down in 5 to 7 days, you will want to check the tightness of the barbell balls. Please WASH your hands! Check once a day for the entire life of your piercing.
6. DO NOT PLAY WITH YOUR TONGUE PIERCING!!!!! This is the WORST thing you could do, no clicking, or poking it out beyond your teeth, aside from normal speaking and eating.
HINTS AND TIPS:
- USE ICE FOR THE FIRST 72 HOURS/ALSO IF YOU CAN, TAKE A PAIN RELIEVER WITH IBUPROFEN IN IT, TO REDUCE SWELLING!
- Your tongue may swell anywhere from 3 to 7 days normally, it depends on the individual, this is reduced by ice, cold foods, and pain reliever.
- Your tongue will feel uncoordinated; it may shake, and be somewhat difficult to talk normally or swallow as well, this will pass.
- Eat carefully the first week, softer, less spicy foods, but eat as much as you can to help keep your immune system up!
- ALL piercings secrete a white, plasma fluid that looks a little like pus, this is normal at first.